For some reason this one didn’t post last week, so we get 2 this week!
You might recognize our newest project from the intro to the original Charlie’s Angels tv series. We started documentation of the Los Angeles Police Academy this week in anticipation of the upcoming renovation.
It took about 4 years to build the Queen Mary which sailed the North Atlantic from 1936-1967. Its now permanently docked in Long Beach as a hotel and fantastic place to have a party. This impressive art deco ship is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
We’ve worked at the Queen Mary off and on for several years. This month we’ll be back and forth to venerable ship completing restoration on a couple of the murals, including the “Royal Jubilee Week” in the Observation Deck Bar as well as “Dressed Overall at the Quay” and “The Sea.”
Have you ever been inside the St. Sophia Greek Orthodox Cathedral (LA’s largest Greek Orthodox church and LA Historic Cultural Monument #120)? Its amazing. Back in 2001, we documented and conserved of all twenty-one painted icons that fit into the altar screen. We also restored the painted surfaces and gilding on the altar screen, throne and pulpit.
Check out Doug Santo’s pictures of the cathedral on flickr, they’re beautiful.
We’ve worked on several projects at The Huntington Library, Art Collections, and Botanical Gardens over the years, but in 2008 we completed extensive restoration work on the original mansion (now the art gallery) including window, door and architectural woodwork restoration; decorative iron work restoration; plaster, cast stone, concrete and limestone restoration, color analysis and consulting; painting of all surfaces.
In 2010 we cataloged and dismantled (and eventually reinstalled) the interior and storefront of the historic Gibbs Building (part of the Los Angeles Plaza Historic District, also known as El Pueblo de Los Ángeles State Historic Park) to accommodate the structural work for the Siqueiros mural protective shelter.
(oops a day late) Restoration work in progress at the Raymond Theater in Pasadena (now the Raymond Renaissance) completed in 2009. Check out our project page for more Before and After pictures of our work.
Built by Sid Grauman and Charles Toberman, and designed by Meyer & Holler in the “Egyptian Revival style”, the Egyptian Theatre opened to much acclaim in 1922 as the venue of the first ever Hollywood Premiere (Robin Hood). The theater declined in the 1980s and was eventually sold by the City of LA to American Cinemateque in 1996.
When the American Cinemateque restored the historic Egyptian Theater in 1998 its famous exterior courtyard was also part of the plan. Our participation included the restoration of three original lamps (with any missing pieces recreated) and the complete fabrication of three additional fixtures. Rewiring was completed and new lenses were installed.